Friday, December 24, 2010

soul space.

Let me be clear, on this blog you wont often hear me giving advice on how to rest, sabbath or really live a life of balance. Because I don't know how. Because I live with the combination that I enjoy doing life at a high pace and there's definitely a healthy part of my personality that just likes life to be busy, engaged and full but I also am bad at setting boundaries so I often cross the line of "busy" to just plain "ridiculous".

With all this in mind, I've been trying to carve out little bits of space for my soul to breath leading up to Christmas. Christmas is a busy season (SURPRISE!) but an especially busy one when, around here, we focus a lot on helping others experience the season to its depth and beauty. So I've been trying to find space. Space for my soul to breath; to inhale the beauty of my Saviour COMING HERE to save us, to exhale the just plain ridiculousness of the past year, to inhale that hope that lies in the beginning of Jesus' story, to exhale some deeply buried pain I've been hauling around...

So I went for a run the other day and didnt listen to music. And breathed deeply.

I made coffee this morning and instead of taking my cup around the house as I got ready for the day, I stood at the kitchen sink. And just breathed.

I was in Zellers last week and from around the corner I heard my favourite movie line from the year "It's so fuzzy I could die!" and sure enough, Despicable Me was playing on the 200 TVs in the electronic department so I stood and watched it for half an hour. And breathed. And laughed.

I played basketball yesterday with my favourite red-headed rascals and after five minutes, when I was tempted to go back to my desk and keep chipping away at my ridiculous to-do list, I sat down on the gym floor, pulled them both in close, and listened to them talk about all the presents they bought for mummy and daddy this year. And breathed deeply.

I'm trying to let my soul breathe more... It's going ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment