Wednesday, July 28, 2010

a different kind of boy.

Ya. I know. It's been a while. Before I took this space live, Janice made me promise I wouldn't start and then never post again. Which, this post is proof I have not done just that. But I do apologize to my two faithful readers that I have been off the grid for two weeks. Life has a way of happening in a tornado-like way occasionally and I've just now managed to find Toto and ensure we're back in Kansas so I'm ready to pick up routine and I promise never to leave you again, or at least for a few days.

I'll jump right in with what's been rumbling around in my head lately. In one of the four books I am currently in the middle of reading right now I read this quote the other day...

"Let's face it, as long as teenagers in the church are not getting into trouble with girls or drugs, no one is going to bother them."

The author is talking about his specific experience as a boy growing up in the church and, as much as I dont have loads to identify with him on, I do immediately think of three things. I think of the Babe and his experience growing up in the church, of a whole crew of youth guys who roll through the office on their longboards and of my adopted nephews who have turned, overnight, from toddlers to boys and who, Lord willing, will grow from boys into men at LEFC.

In deference to this author's bold statement, I see so many beautiful outpourings of God's grace to our boys and men at LEFC. My husband, his strong character and teachable spirit, is a direct result of the Stockade and Battalion programs here at LEFC. These are boys groups that follow kids through elementary and then high school teaching them about dodgeball, hiking, Jesus and many other exciting and vitally important things. Throughout his childhood and teenagehood he was poured into by a group of amazing, God-fearing men who taught him so much and continue to be there for him to this day. Men who didn't just "not bother him" because he wasn't into drugs and was dating a nice Christian girl. Men who made sure that he knew faithfulness and character were about more than just keeping the spoken rules.

I also see our youth pastor, "the-one-with-the-skinny-ankles" (more on HIM later), caring for our current crew of young teenage boys with an unconditional, 24-7, kind of love. Continually I hear of examples of kids who've had him speak into their lives; unapologetically calling them on their garbage. Not only does he just "not bother" guys, but he relentlessly pursues them, engaging in their lives, sports games and relationships, to make sure they have a place to always talk about what's going on in their worlds.

And finally, I get to hear the Vicar preach a sermon every week that ensures his boys are not going to grow up in a church where a gospel is preached that, if you aren't getting into trouble with girls or drugs, you're ok and you'll be left alone. He's continually reminding us (often loudly) that Jesus is after the heart, not our seemingly-good outward appearance and that we are made right by His blood, not our works.

These are just a few of the ways I see Jesus being so gracious to us here, there are many more beautiful examples of this as well as many ways where we are failing. Miserably. But this week I'm encouraged to be surrounded by men who care deeply about our boys and are trying to ensure they are not just left alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment